From TIMOTHY OLANREWAJU, Maiduguri
No fewer than 40 people were killed, 12 others got injured, with several houses and other property destroyed by suspected Boko Haram insurgents during two separate attacks on a border community in Borno State, on Thursday and Saturday, last week, residents and a government official said.
Suspected insurgents were said to have stormed Gulumba town, in Bama Local Government Area, about 130 kilometres to Maiduguri, Borno State capital last Thursday and opened fire on the villagers.
The official stated: “They were about 70 and came on 15 motorcycles and a Toyota Hilux vehicle. They were shooting indiscriminately at the people,” a police source hinted.
“The gunmen, numbering about 70, arrived at the village on 15 motorcycles and a Toyota Hilux van and started burning peoples’ houses, looting shops and houses. They carted away foodstuffs and fired at those fleeing.”
Chairman of Bama Local Government Area, Baba Shehu Gulumba, confirmed the attack, adding that 27 people were killed by the insurgents while 12 people got injured.
“It was a very sad incident. The information we got showed that the insurgents were many and they opened fire on the people, They set buildings, property and foodstuffs ablaze. Those that sustained injuries are receiving treatment at the hospital now, he told journalists yesterday in Maiduguri.
He also said that gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram killed 13 passengers in a bus at a T-junction along Gwoza Road, also in Bama Local Government Area. The incident brought the death toll in the Thursday and Saturday attacks in the area, to 40.
Baba Shehu disclosed further that similar attacks had occurred a few days before the Muslim Eid el Kabir celebration, during which the insurgents killed 18 people, including a member of the youth vigilante, also called Civilian JTF.
“When the incident occurred, I went there and during their burial, the local government provided all the things needed for their burial,” he disclosed.
He said that the local government authority would continue to relate with the traditional rulers, youth volunteers and security agencies to bring insurgency to an end in the area.
Also, he stated that the state government had approved contract for the re-construction of the Bama market burnt by the insurgents. He added that N100 million was also released as compensation to Boko Haram victims.
District Head of the village, Alhaji Baba Shehu Ballak, was reported to have addressed the people and urged them to be calm and see the incident as an act of God.
No fewer than 40 people were killed, 12 others got injured, with several houses and other property destroyed by suspected Boko Haram insurgents during two separate attacks on a border community in Borno State, on Thursday and Saturday, last week, residents and a government official said.
Suspected insurgents were said to have stormed Gulumba town, in Bama Local Government Area, about 130 kilometres to Maiduguri, Borno State capital last Thursday and opened fire on the villagers.
The official stated: “They were about 70 and came on 15 motorcycles and a Toyota Hilux vehicle. They were shooting indiscriminately at the people,” a police source hinted.
“The gunmen, numbering about 70, arrived at the village on 15 motorcycles and a Toyota Hilux van and started burning peoples’ houses, looting shops and houses. They carted away foodstuffs and fired at those fleeing.”
Chairman of Bama Local Government Area, Baba Shehu Gulumba, confirmed the attack, adding that 27 people were killed by the insurgents while 12 people got injured.
“It was a very sad incident. The information we got showed that the insurgents were many and they opened fire on the people, They set buildings, property and foodstuffs ablaze. Those that sustained injuries are receiving treatment at the hospital now, he told journalists yesterday in Maiduguri.
He also said that gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram killed 13 passengers in a bus at a T-junction along Gwoza Road, also in Bama Local Government Area. The incident brought the death toll in the Thursday and Saturday attacks in the area, to 40.
Baba Shehu disclosed further that similar attacks had occurred a few days before the Muslim Eid el Kabir celebration, during which the insurgents killed 18 people, including a member of the youth vigilante, also called Civilian JTF.
“When the incident occurred, I went there and during their burial, the local government provided all the things needed for their burial,” he disclosed.
He said that the local government authority would continue to relate with the traditional rulers, youth volunteers and security agencies to bring insurgency to an end in the area.
Also, he stated that the state government had approved contract for the re-construction of the Bama market burnt by the insurgents. He added that N100 million was also released as compensation to Boko Haram victims.
District Head of the village, Alhaji Baba Shehu Ballak, was reported to have addressed the people and urged them to be calm and see the incident as an act of God.